The Geographic Information Science Certificate Program (GIScience) is designed to prepare undergraduates with the basic training necessary to enter the rapidly expanding field of geographic information science (GIS).
The Geographic Information Science (GIScience) Certificate Program is designed to prepare undergraduates with the training necessary to enter the rapidly expanding field of GIScience.
Why GIScience at the University of Georgia (UGA)
- A comprehensive collection of courses in GIScience and GI Technology is offered by the Department of Geography and other UGA departments. Learning geospatial concepts and skills in geographic data collection and analysis will increase your research and employment opportunities in the growing field of GIScience.
- GIScience faculty have research interests covering various aspects including theories and methods in GIScience, remote sensing, landscape ecology, cartography and geovisualizaiton, health and the environment, urban studies, transportation, community studies, social media, natural resources, human-environment interaction, and more.
- Gain real-world experience through a GIS internship or a GIS independent study.
Inquiries, Application, and Completion
- There are no prerequisite courses required for the certificate program. If you have any inquires on the program, please contact the certificate program coordinator (Dr. Lan Mu, firstname.lastname@example.org).
- To apply, please request to be admitted to the GIScience Certificate Program from UGA’s Athena system online. Log into Athena using your UGA MyID, go to the Curriculum Change Application module and choose GIScience Certificate Program. You will receive a confirmation after your request is processed.
- After you have completed all the course requirements, please fill out the Undergraduate GIScience Certificate Completion Form and email it to the certificate program coordinator. Your completion form will be evaluated by the certificate program coordinator and the GIScience faculty.
- Your GIScience Certificate will be approved if you have fulfilled all the course requirements with an average 3.0 and above GPA in the 12 credits of GIScience courses. You will receive the following confirmation and documents:
- A signed copy of the UGA Undergraduate GIScience Certificate through the mail (please make sure we have your most updated mailing address).
- An official record on your UGA transcript to show that you have earned the Undergraduate GIScience Certificate.
Course Requirements (12 credits, with at least 9 credits of GEOG courses)
In order to understand the fundamental knowledge of GIScience and build essential skills, students enrolled in the GIScience Certificate Program will take a minimum of 12 credits of UGA courses, selected from among the following. It is not necessary to take these courses in sequence. A repeated course (such as a directed study) can only be counted once toward the GIScience Certificate Program’s requirements. Only courses with A-F grading can be used to fulfill the course requirements.
Core course (3 credits)
Elective courses (9 credits from the following courses)
Data Science and Programming
Internship or Independent Study (up to 4 credits, with a focus on GIS&T)
GIS&T in related disciplines
In addition to the courses listed above, upon request by the applicant, a GIS related course taken in another department at UGA can be considered as an elective course contingent upon an evaluation by the certificate program coordinator or the GIScience faculty.
In order to ensure that certificate recipients display a strong command of GIScience, the certificate is granted only to those students who achieve a 3.0 GPA in courses that constitute the GIScience Certificate Program. The GPA for certificate purposes will be computed in accordance with UGA policy. Post-baccalaureate students returning to acquire the certificate must repeat any required or elective courses which were completed more than five years prior to the award date of the certificate.